Thursday, March 26, 2015

Young Life

It's always tricky to be friends with the parents of your students. However, when you live in the neighborhood and interact with those parents regularly, those times will happen more often than not.

This year, I have a parent and her daughter who have both been such a blessing to me and our class. I have come to learn that this mom has a heart and passion for working with teen mothers, and her daughter has a heart and passion for helping children who are hospitalized with serious illnesses. They both spend countless hours volunteering and raising money to help others.  It is heartwarming to see this kind of spirit alive and well and thriving in children.

Tonight, I went with this mom to a small private concert with Dove award winner Ellie Holcomb. The evening was uplifting and inspiring to say the least, and served to remind me of some things that I tend to forget in the madness of the day. I now have a lot to ponder regarding Young Life and how I can play a role in this group.  I was unaware that this group even existed until tonight, so if you would like to read up on them, too, please check out the links below and enjoy some of Ellie Holcomb's music.

Young Life Denton



2 comments:

Ramona said...

It is a blessing to know parents and children who help others. I too live in the neighborhood where I used to teach. It provides its own set of challenges, but I wouldn't trade those challenges for the opportunities I have to see my students as they mature and grow.

Stacey Shubitz said...

I understand where you're coming from about being friendly with students' families. I always tended to wait until they were out of my class so socialize. That said, it sounds like you've found the right balance here.