Monday, March 2, 2015

The Hard Days

Some days are harder than others in 4th grade.  Some days you spend preparing students for a benchmark that covers standards that haven't been taught and making up for 3 lost instructional days last week.  Some days you try to catch up on the subjects that get left behind during testing season and still don't feel like you've done a good job of teaching them.  Some days you spend hours after school in meetings or trying to fix field trip problems that are fully unexpected and outside of your control or making yet another contingency plan for said field trip because the weather is awful right now.  (I mean seriously, isn't there a limit on the number of winter storms allowed to hit Texas.  It's TEXAS!!!  Can we get that added to our Constitution?  I expect March to be sunny and at least 80 degrees.  It's my birthday month.  I should get to pick, right?!?)  Some times you find out what other people deem is most valuable and it may or may not line up with what you think. Some days that all happens on Monday!  What a way to start the week.

But, hopefully even on those days you can look around in your exhaustion and find a friend or two who understands, is on your side, and, if there is no other solution, will be mad right alongside you. On those days you find an extra helper in the kitchen at dinner time who turns his string cheese into walrus tusks to make you laugh.  On those days, you remember what really matters, and sometimes it's that I made a difference for someone, even if it's only because I opened the string cheese.  :)

Here's to a better day tomorrow!

3 comments:

M Nabors said...

Oh girl!! Today was one of those kind of days for me, too!!! Thank you for reminding me to look to the little things. I must go reflect now........

Thinking Made Visible said...

Oh sweet Ami . . . You captured the struggles of Monday's madness so eloquently. I'm sorry you had more than your fair share of troubles today, and I know how disappointed your are about the field trip situation. We will figure it out. My favorite part of your post was adding your request for beautiful birthday weather to the Texas constitution. Don't change what you value most just because others disagree. I'll be angry with you about it for awhile. :)

Ramona said...

Mama said there'd be days like this. Sounds like you had more than your share of tough times, especially for a Monday. Love the pic of your extra helper with his walrus tusks!