Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Spring

Spring is not my favorite season of the year. The weather goes from cold and snowy to hot and dry with no regard to what clothes I have available in my closet. Somewhere in the middle of those two extremes is usually where we find tonight's weather, TORNADOES! No, I'm not in Oklahoma, but they are our northern neighbor, and we get our fair share of twisters in North Texas. I will be the first to say that tornadoes terrify me. From the wind to the debris, they are nature's most unpredictable storms. Seeing rotation on a radar doesn't necessarily mean the tornado will drop from the sky, but it does mean this mommy will be in full panic for several hours while trying to look calm in front of my children. Tonight my thoughts and prayers are with the people in Moore, OK. It has only been two years since their last major tornado hit the town, destroying over 1,100 homes and killing 24 people. This devastation included 2 elementary schools and 7 children. I will never forget the chilling video from inside the school as the teachers tried to calm the children and reassure them that it was almost over.  I can only hope that I am never faced with that situation. I am always a relatively calm, easy going person, but tornadoes give me full out anxiety attacks.  

2 comments:

Ramona said...

I can so identify with your anxiety. I grew up in Oklahoma and remember having to go to Aunt Edna's and Uncle Alvie's cellar. I wasn't sure which was worse - facing the tornado or the spiders and snakes in the cellar. I'm terrified of tornadoes too, and it's hard to stay calm for the kids. Hope they keep passing you by and staying high in the sky.

M Nabors said...

Growing up, I spent many nights in the closet because my mom was horrified of the storms. Therefore, I don't pay them as much attention as I should. :(