Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Parent of the Year

It's hard to be a parent.  We try so hard to set good examples and be supportive while establishing boundaries, but there's no rule book.  Every parent/child relationship looks different and evolves as life seasons come and go.  Our family is currently in a bit of a drama season with my almost 10 year old daughter.  I blame the acting lessons, but we have decided to support her passions wholeheartedly. :) Unfortunately, that means that little things become big things when they really shouldn't be. So, what happens when you are out for a family walk, and said child falls off her scooter and screams.  Simple, you sing her some Taylor Swift. "Shake it off, shake it off!"
She laughs a little, but gets up and goes about her business, after all, it's Spring Break and we have plans for lots of fun activities.  The next day you go play putt putt golf, ride go carts, watch a movie, and play with friends, all while teasing her about the way she is holding her arm. "If you aren't going to use it, we can just cut it off. Quit messing around." After 24 hours of observation, though, I knew it was time for x-rays, just to stop the drama.  This time, mom was WRONG! My drama queen really did break her wrist. :( So, what words of encouragement does she get now, "Well, at least it isn't your writing hand. It would've been a pain to get you accommodations for STAAR." I am thankful that in this drama season, she also has a great sense of humor and loves mom's sarcasm.

2 comments:

Ramona said...

I was pretty sure where this slice was going. I had an old college roommate who kept giving her whining child suckers only to later discover he had 2 broken legs! And the neighbor across the street (a physician) didn't initially detect his own son's broken arm. Sounds like you're having an exciting break!

Thinking Made Visible said...

I just saw the picture on FB when I woke up this morning. Your blog made me smile, and perhaps Hannah has some new material for a STAAR writing prompt. I love how much you support your daughters dreams, and I could totally hear your voice through this post. Hannah is lucky to have such a fun mama like you!